fun. - “Carry On”
I still think that Some Nights (fun.’s 2012 release, that got them nominated for a shitload of Grammies) is mostly on the offensive side of kitsch, but I do like this song quite a bit (definitely more so than their previous singles, “We Are Young”, and “Some Nights”).
Matthew Perptua (of Fluxblog, as well as Rolling Stone magazine, and Pitchfork—and a personal idol of mine) explained some time back that the reason he likes fun. is because they appeal to him in the same way that tacky, 70’s pop groups appeal to him. I definitely get that; there’s a certain amount of Captain & Tanille, and Electric Light Orchestra, and James Taylor to their sound. He goes on to explain that the reason they pull off this sound is because they take it so seriously. That’s no small feat, considering how ridiculous all of those bands I just listed off can sound. But the reason behind that is that this kind of kitsch-pop sound doesn’t sound good unless those performing it take it seriously. Nobody likes a bad parody.
- katieisntcrazy reblogged this from whollyshit
- carmen-welch reblogged this from whollyshit and added:
- ieatsleepandfangirl reblogged this from thinkisawakitty
- thinkisawakitty reblogged this from whollyshit
- brokenbutstilldreaming reblogged this from alwayslauren
- alwayslauren reblogged this from whollyshit and added:
- thinkisawakitty likes this
- chirspie likes this
- lights-sws-ptv reblogged this from whollyshit
- weare-weare-shiningstars reblogged this from whollyshit and added:
- thimblewhatsgood likes this
- whollyshit posted this